Monday 25 February 2008

Dietetic social

This event arose out of an end-of-term review with our Dietetics tutor, who asked if there were any improvements to the course that we could suggest, based on our experience so far. I mentioned that it would be nice to know everyone's names.

A social event was therefore proposed, which took place last week, in Jee Ja Jee's, Kegworth. My second visit, and the food is delicious (if you like curry, that is.) I was going to link to their website, but it's really nasty with horrible animation and sounds and is probably inaccessible and I do have standards, even though they are low. Jee Ja Jee's food 1, website 0.

About 20 of us students turned up, plus Lizzie's son who's only 1 and a bit. I can safely say that I now know some more people on the Dietetics course, but I'm not sure I want to get to know them any better. I put some of it down to me being more than twice their age, but it wasn't only me, some of it was them. Just not very friendly, or more charitably: too shy.

It has been an interesting experience getting to know the group of older students that I mix with most. I'm not quick to make friends, and I'm happy on the fringes of a group, while others dive right in and seem to be bosom pals before you can blink. If I were an anthropologist I'd have plenty of material to work on. There has been a dinner party to which some were invited and some were not, there have been at least two instances of falling out - I am attempting to keep well out of it, although there are definitely those that I try to avoid working with in practical groups.

One incident did make me laugh - a student who has moved from the North West of England was complaining that the water in her Nottinghamshire house doesn't taste very good, and there's funny white stuff in her kettle which she was worried was harmful. She actually hadn't come across hard water or limescale before. I forget how much stuff I know about simply by virtue of having lived for more than forty years.

I wrote most of this post before going away for the weekend, and now I'm back but with no time to write about the fun we had. I need to learn all about vitamins A, C, E and K from an interactive website called Vitamin Village, and I've got to do it by Friday, because I forgot to put it in my homework notebook when the task was originally set. In three hours I've been through most of Vitamin A, so it looks like it's going to be a major job.

4 comments:

aims said...

Sometimes we find friends in the strangest places. Nearly all of my friends are long-distance ones. The one that lives in town - I never see her...and she usally phones when she's breaking up with a guy.

All of this is just fine by me. I love my friends - especially where they are. (Maybe I'm selfish?)

Avery Gray said...

I found you!

;o)

Hiding from me on Mike's blog? Why in the world would you want to do that? I don't bite!

If that's what he told you, he lied.

Anyhow, it's funny that you should mention the disparity in ages among the students in your class. My husband is going to be 43 next month, and he'll be starting college this fall. He's a bit apprehensive about being the oldest one in the program, but I think it's great. It's never too late to fulfill your dreams.

travelling, but not in love said...

I was 24 when I went to University, so 5/6 years older than my classmates. Not much of an age gap, but you'd be surprised.

By the end of the four years, we'd all pretty much met somewhere in the middle - as they got more mature, I got decidedly less so!

Lola said...

I can thoroughly recommend a return to learning at an advanced age. Our starting point is so far ahead of the kids who haven't done anything except live with their parents. Events that I think of as 'not that long ago' in the late '80s took place before they were born.

I'm not showing any signs yet of becoming more youthful, but perhaps I will when the youngsters relax enough to talk to me...