Monday 21 January 2008

What I'm reading at the moment

I couldn't finish the Barry Humphries book, and started to feel a bit low about all the bad books that are out there and that I seem to be encountering at the moment. It's because I'm reading other people's choices - too many presents and none of my own selection for months. Then I fired up one of my Audiobooks on the way to London.

Image of the book cover
The Uncommon Reader
by Alan Bennett

narrated by Alan Bennett
"It was the corgis' fault. When they strayed through the grounds of Buckingham Palace, the Queen discovered the City of Westminster travelling library. The Queen has never had much time for reading - pleasure's always come second place to duty - 'though now that one is here I suppose one ought to borrow a book.'"
A treat, a delight, at last something I've really enjoyed. If anything, too short - it was over by the time I'd got halfway back up the M40.


Image of the book cover
Codebreakers: The Inside Story of Bletchley Park
edited by F.H. Hinsley and Alan Stripp

"Bletchley Park was arguably the most successful intelligence operation in world history, the top scecret workplace of the remarkable people who cracked Germany's vaunted Enigma Code. Only now, nearly half a century since the end of the Second World War, have any of the men and women in this group come forward to tell this remarkable story in their own words - a story that an oath of secrecy long prevented them from revealing."
Mr A and I are going on a guided visit to Bletchley Park in May, and he left this lying around the house so I thought it would be useful background. Hard going, since I'm not particularly au fait with military protocol or terminology, even with the help of the glossary.


Image of the book cover
Leave it to Psmith
by P.G. Wodehouse

narrated by Jonathan Cecil
"The idyll of Blandings Castle is about to be disturbed, for the Hon. Freddie Threepwood is poised to make his debut as a jewel thief. Freddie, however, is not alone: Blandings is simply brimming with criminals and impostors all intent on stealing Aunt Constance's £20,000 diamond necklace."
Now that term has started, and it looks like I'll have to drive to Nottingham and back five times a week, I should be getting through audiobooks at quite a rate.

5 comments:

aims said...

Back at it again are you?

That Blechley Park - very interesting!! I've read a couple of books about it...and would love to visit it!! Lucky you! You'll have to give us a good post about it when you get to go.

I love audio books too. I listen to mine while I'm exercising. Helps make the time go faster. Or easier.

travelling, but not in love said...

I listened to the Alan Bennett not so long ago - it's a lovely story, I wonder Lizzy has borrowed a copy from the mobile library yet?

At Christmas I managed Northern Lights (The Golden Compass), narrated by the author, Philip Pullman. It was ten hours long, but it got me from Lyon to Birmingham (and across the channel) in fine style.

A great story and a great talking book - I recommend it.

Lola said...

Aren't books amazing? Thanks for your recommendation, tbnol: I read Northern Lights in print a few years ago (and the other two in the trilogy). He has made that world so real that I was surprised not to see daemons around people when I stopped reading. And then started to think about what form my daemon would take.

I'll be sure to blog the trip to BP, aims, but you'll have to wait until May...

travelling, but not in love said...

Trust me, I think everyone has the same thought after reading Northern Lights...'what form would my daemon take?'...

I'm no closer to an answer. I'd quite like a big, fat, cute panda. Sitting around, eating bamboo all day. Problems with this choice would be a) it's kind of an impractical choice, a giant panda doesn't fit into my flat and b) the low sex drive would disturb me a little...

Uncle Dick Madeley said...

I wrote a rave review of the Alan Bennett months ago. It was one of my favourite books of last year. I'd recommend his diaries, too, which are extremely readable. I don't know if they're on audiobook, though. Don't use them myself...