Monday 16 January 2012

Weekend events

Pictures in the Barber Institute

The weekend brought a visit from mum and dad, which was really enjoyable. On Friday afternoon we drove to the Barber Institute of Fine Arts, which I have visited before, but was new to the parents. It's not a huge gallery, but there was plenty there to look at, and we all found something we liked. After supper we all watched 'From Here to Eternity' with Burt Lancaster, Deborah Kerr, Montgomery Clift, Frank Sinatra and Donna Reed, which also went down very well.

Breakfast for dad was a treat of bacon and tomatoes cooked by Mr A, which he doesn't get at home.  Then mum and I went into town and completed all our jobs while dad stayed at home and read his new book on the history of the biblical world. I took them to the station with a packed lunch and a warm fleecy jacket that's too big for me but suits mum very well - I don't think I've ever managed to pass any clothing in that direction before! A successful visit, but unfortunately when they got home they found that their house had been broken into while they were away. Luckily nothing was stolen, and there was very little damage apart from the window that was used to gain access. I hope it doesn't put them off visiting again.

The only other news of note was that my future employer left a message on my mobile phone suggesting that more hours may be available after all. Leaving such a message on a Friday afternoon has been tantalising in the extreme, leaving me no way of clarifying what she means until today. I haven't yet managed to get an answer, but I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finding out my house was broken into would freak me out completely! Good to hear nothing was stolen though.

Exciting news about the job. I hope it works out just the way you want to!

- Marjolein

Lola said...

Thanks, it's looking better all the time (more news to come)!