Monday 9 January 2012

An ordinary weekend

Red daisies close up
The weekend's news is not exciting. Mr A and I celebrated my new job by going out for a meal in a nice restaurant on Saturday evening, and then suffered all night from the effects of too much rich food and a salt overdose. We decided that in future we would celebrate at lunchtime. We took the old freezer to the dump, and watched films ('Attack the Block' and 'Kiss Me Kate'). I played in a badminton match, caught up with the laundry, and completed the plethora of forms for starting work. Mr A continued to grapple with website design, and bought some birdseed. We talked about our trip to London in a couple of weeks, and about a possible camping holiday in April.

When we moved into this house, exactly ten years ago, it came with a number of recommendations from the surveyor, and a few things we thought we might change. We made three lists: 'Now', 'Soon' and 'Eventually'. We've reviewed the lists a couple of times, and did so again at the weekend. I can hardly believe that we've very nearly done all the 'Now' and the 'Soon' jobs, and some of the 'Eventually' list was plainly fantasy, so there really are only two or three structural things to put right and the rest is cosmetic. Not that there isn't a whole lot of cosmetic stuff, but it's nice to know that the infrastructure is probably sound. I still qualify that statement with 'probably', because something may fall off tomorrow. I don't think it will.

I haven't yet started the next phase of DIY. It may happen this week, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

No comments: