Thursday 11 August 2011

World class badminton


I've been in London this week, watching the World Badminton Championships at Wembley. Inside the Arena, there's nothing but badminton. It's as if the riots and vandalism in the rest of the country were in another world. But on the bus to and from Lola II's house, I pass burnt out buildings, boarded up shops, police cordons, broken windows.

On Monday evening, Lola II was coming back from dinner with a friend in central London, and I was on my way back from Wembley when our tube and bus drivers announced that there was trouble at our destination and the journey would be disrupted. The bus that I was on did an huge detour and I ended up where I needed to be without much trouble. Lola II was kicked out of the tube quite a long way from home. Luckily, Mr M and I were able to drive out to where she was and pick her up.

As I say, while I'm watching the badminton, there's nothing else that intrudes. Outside of those times, what's going on in this country is shameful. It's particularly hard to deal with because there's nothing I can do or say to fix anything. All I have is a single vote every now and then. Spending any time considering the future either of the world economy or our society in general is supremely depressing, so I will spend another day at the badminton and forget about it all for a little while longer.

There aren't the huge crowds that might accompany events for a more mainstream sport. In fact, the arena was half empty on Monday, and yesterday there were still significant numbers of empty seats. The players and games are outstanding though, and it's the same venue and the same players as for the Olympics in a year's time, except that nobody I know has 'won' any tickets of any sort for the Olympics, and these cost me less than a tenner a day. Monday's ticket was free - given away by Badminton England to encourage attendance.

Technicians re-stringing the players' racquetsThe sport is particularly popular and well-supported in the East: top players are from China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Korea, Thailand and Japan. In Europe, the only players that are in the running for top prizes come from Denmark. Some of the early games are spectacularly mismatched, in size and shape as well as ability and competitiveness. The tiny, ginger Scots kids against the hulking, blonde Austrians was one; the Irish pair looked positively grey in comparison with the other competitors. The east Asians are generally tiny, but they make up for it in fitness and springiness, bouncing high in the air for the smash. The French are most definitely the best turned out.

So now it's stopped raining and I'll get on down to the bus stop for another day of enthralling entertainment. Watch the final rounds on Sky TV, or better skill, get out there and play. It's truly the best sport there is.

View of the great arch of Wembley Stadium

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Someone I went to school with...Chris Adcock was playing here! Just got himself a place in the mixed doubles quarter finals Don't suppose you managed to see him?! Hope all is well? Lucy H x

Lola said...

I certainly did see him, I have watched all of his matches so far, cheering and clapping like a good 'un. I hope they get through the next round - sadly, I don't think it's likely that they'll make the finals.

How long have you been lurking here, then? And congratulations on the job! Everyone's getting them except me :-(

Anonymous said...

Ahh wicked! Hope they get through too!
I've been lurking a while...remember coming across it in like first or second year and just re-discovered it! Thank you...there's still only a few (max 5 i know of) that have got jobs....still plenty more out there! And just think we're taking the ones all over the place leaving the ones near you for you! :-) x