Saturday 20 October 2007

End of another week

I'm really surprised about how little time I have during the week for 'leisure pursuits' such as updating this blog. I thought that being a student would be a bit of a doss for the first year at least, and perhaps it is for the kids who are busy having fun away from home for the first time. It would take up all my time if I let it, probably because I want to squeeze all the juice out of every subject.

In theory, I have all of Monday and two afternoons free, as well as the weekend. I've been playing squash one afternoon, and all the other free time plus some at the weekend has been full of homework. The fish essay is coming on nicely, although I'm finding it difficult to write the thing and stop following up leads to new information. In case you're interested, fish intake plays a part in neural development, but there's no effect on IQ as adults except to impair brain function if you regularly consume fish that contains methylmercury.

One lecture this week was about genetic modification of plants: herbicide-resistant soya, golden rice and so on. The GM businesses' big mistake was to withhold information from the public about which soya was GM and which wasn't, which just made everyone suspicious. In fact, while there are risks of cross-fertilisation with wild plants, and possible effects on wildlife, these would probably be accepted by consumers if they trusted the suppliers to tell the truth.

The plant biology practical on Tuesday was not great, with five simultaneous experiments to do within two hours. I'm still not sure what I was supposed to learn from it, and will have to spend time reviewing what it was all about.

The highlight this week was the second (and final) part of the Basic Emergency Care course, where we revised the main points of last time's assessment of an unconscious patient and CPR, and moved forward into dealing with choking, and systematic evaluation where the patient is conscious. We had some splendid fake wounds to stick on - the burn was particularly disturbing - and I dealt with lacerations caused by an arm going through a window, putting a lovely bandage and sling on my patient.

The Biochemistry textbook I ordered has arrived, and it's two inches thick with tiny writing. Daunting.

No comments: