Thursday 26 July 2007

Some history

I'm a month late starting this blog - I wanted to get going in June but didn't get round to it. So there's some back story to add:-

17 June 07

Well, I've been unemployed for a week now, but it doesn't feel like it yet. Lots of revision for the exams next week, although I managed to do some of it outside in the garden until the rain came. Quite impressive rain - the local news said that some Leamington houses had been flooded, but not ours unless you count the way the shower drain backs up when a month's rain falls in a day. After the exams I'll be able to get out and look under the drain cover...

"After the exams" is a bit of a recurring theme. The kitchen light bulb that blew about two months ago is still there, and a million other jobs are waiting to be done. Including unpacking the bags of stuff that I brought home from work - what on earth shall I do with my Karting trophy, for example? I don’t have space for a little museum like I had on my desk in Birmingham...

We've tried to change to a more local way of buying food, which has helped me to get away from my desk and out of the house to the greengrocer a few times last week. This weekend was the Leamington Peace Festival, an annual event with all sorts of stalls offering tie-dye hippy clothing, different kinds of meditation, interesting 'herbs' and smoking apparatus, jewellery, minority religions, things made out of wood and conservation organisations, all accompanied by live music. All for free. Saturday was a bit wet but I wandered over there today, and even bought a hat. See, I can do shopping!

So next week I've got these exams on Tuesday and Friday, and then I'll be able to see what it really feels like to be unemployed. I'm looking forward to playing badminton again at last, hoping to have a few games of tennis, and I've already planned a few trips around the country, so I expect I'll be able to fit in a trip to Café Soya some time soon. Looking forward to it already!

Biology Fact of the Day: The human heart muscle contracts around two and a half billion times during a lifetime.

Lola Fact of the Day: I'm still wearing my new hat.

No comments: